Affiliated Players- Updated 10/16/2022
POLICY AND PROCESS
Affiliation Rules as Mandated by Hockey Canada and HEO
Hockey Canada has mandated that the 19-player Special Affiliation method is the only acceptable way of documenting affiliations.
- Each team is permitted to sign up to 19 players as affiliates, two of which must be goaltenders.
- Affiliates may only be used by one (1) team.
- Affiliates MUST appear on your official team roster before they can be used in a game.
- The use of an undocumented (in The TTM system and listed on your team roster as an affiliate player) affiliate in a game will result in the Head Coach being suspended for the use of an ineligible player
- An AP can be released from one affiliating team and then affiliated to another This can be achieved in one of two ways:
- the player’s home team releases him/her from the team (this release also automatically releases any affiliations). The player can join a new home team, provided this happens prior to January 10th, and new affiliations implemented, provided the affiliations are established prior to February 15th.
- The deadline for adding affiliates to any roster is Feb 15th of any given season.
- A House league player cannot affiliate to a rep team and a House League team
- Maximum number of games is 15
- Goalies have no limit on affiliated games.
House League Teams
- A player can only be affiliated to their assigned teams at the House Level only (see your convenor for your assigned teams).
- A player can be affiliated to a max of 30 games and only 15 games with one team
- A player cannot be affiliated to a Rep team and a House team
- House League Goalies remains unlimited # of games
- If needing an affiliate for a tournament game (only) that player and or goalie must be added to your official team roster as an affiliate player (or goalie)
- Maximum number of games is 30
- The deadline for adding affiliates to any roster is Feb 15th of any given season
General Affiliation Information
- The purpose of affiliation is to allow the higher category team the opportunity to ice the maximum allowable roster for every game.
- Affiliate players are the property of the lower category teams on which they have been registered. Each time the higher category team wishes to use a player, they must obtain permission of the Head Coach of the lower category team.
- Skaters may affiliate to a maximum of fifteen (15) games (REP teams) or (30) games (House League).
- Only regular season and playoff games count towards this total. Tournament and exhibition games do not count.
- Goalies have no limit on affiliated games. Sitting as back-up does not count as an affiliated game.
- Teams and players will need to keep track of the number of affiliations for a player. Coaches may be advised when a player approaches the limit.
- Teams participating in out of Branch tournaments would be well-advised to verify the affiliation regulations of the Branch to which they are travelling.
REP AND HOUSE LEAGUE AFFILIATION POLICY AND PROCESS
What follows is the KMHA policy for affiliation within Rep and House League.
The KMHA supports affiliation as a means for players to develop their skills by playing for a higher-level team. The general rules for affiliating players are outlined in Hockey Canada Regulation E and HEO Minor Rules and Regulations, Section 8.0 and Appendix B.
- Skaters may affiliate “up” in age or category or in both age and category.
Example: A U13 B skater can affiliate to a U13 A team, or may affiliate to a U15 B or a U15 A team.
- Goaltenders are the exception to this policy, with prior approval by the Division Convenor
- For House League only, a player/goalie affiliating to a higher age classification may play below his letter classification at the higher age level except for affiliating to the house “C”. For example, a U13 House League “A” player may affiliate to a U15 House League “B” but a U13 House League “B” player may not affiliate to U15 House League “C”.
- House League players affiliating to competitive teams may only affiliate to the lowest level of competitive.
- Minor competitive B teams affiliating house league players may only affiliate players of minor age and only for league play.
- U7’S ARE NOT PERMITTED TO AFFLIATE UP A TIER
Failure to comply with this policy will result in sanctions
Process for Affiliation
Requesting an affiliate player to be added to your official team roster:
1-Best practice is to start of the season by choosing some players you would like to affiliate to your team and request they be added to your official team roster by sending the affiliates current team, full name, DOB and position to email@example.com to request the player(s) be added to your roster. It is highly suggested you do this as soon as possible to avoid last minute crisis.
When you know you need to use an AP Player or Goalie
- You must contact the coach of the affiliate’s team to notify them you are requesting the player be added to your team’s official roster as an affiliate.
- You must request and receive permission to use the player from the parents.
- Add your affiliate player to your team in TTM by following the below steps
Please note that a player cannot be affiliated to more than 1 team in an age division as per the above previously mentioned.
House League Teams
1.Request permission from the team and parents of the player you want to affiliate for a game
2.Prior to the game ENTER your affiliation of that player in the TTM system, you do not have to have the player added to your official team roster for league games.
If you require an affiliate for a tournament game, in this instance only you will have to add the affiliate to your official team roster (as an AP). Do so by sending an email with the players name, DOB and position to firstname.lastname@example.org and the affiliate will be added to your official team roster that you will show the tournament.
Creating and maintaining Team Affiliated Player List In TTM
- Login to your team account
- Under the Affiliation Reporting menu click Show Affiliated Players
- Click Add Affiliated Player button
- From the Eligible Player list, click the check box next to all players you want to affiliate
- Click the Add Selected Affiliate Players button
- Review list of Affiliated Players for your team and adjust if necessary.
Any players added to a team’s affiliation list will no longer be listed as eligible for any other team.
Affiliates for a team will appear in the team list when entering a suspension. If an affiliate is given a suspension their home team gets notified of the suspension.
Game Day Process for using an Affiliate Player
- Process for game day use of an AP
- Ensure the process above for requesting an affiliate has been completed.
- Prior to using the player in the game, you must contact the coach of the affiliate’s team to notify them that you are requesting the player. This is to make the requesting coach aware of any issues or suspensions which may prevent them participating in a game.
- You must sign into the TTM system and enter your affiliate in the game they are about to play (this ensures that a player never plays over the max games allowable).
- Affiliated players must be designated on the official game sheet by the symbol “AP” after their name on the player’s line-up roster.
- After the game, the requesting Head Coach must notify the affiliate’s regular
- coaching staff should injuries or suspensions
CAN AFFILIATE FROM
1st AA LOWER DIVISION AA, A AND B TEAMS, 2nd SAME DIVISION A AND B TEAMS
1st A LOWER DIVISION A AND B TEAMS, 2nd SAME DIVISION B TEAMS
B LOWER DIVISION B HOUSE A, B AND C TEAMS
CAN AFFILIATE FROM
1st A LOWER DIVISION A, B AND C TEAMS. 2nd SAME DIVISION B AND C TEAMS
1st B LOWER DIVISION A, B AND C TEAMS, 2nd SAME DIVISION C TEAMS
C LOWER DIVISION C TEAMS
** NOTE: AND U7’S ARE NOT PERMITTED TO AFFLIATE UP A TIER
A House league player cannot affiliate to a Rep team and a House League team
U9 Affiliation Policy (U9 Pathways)
Affiliation is permitted between the tiers of the U9 level as per Hockey Canada Regulations
U9 major aged players are able to affiliate to U11 after Jan. 15th
U11 Affiliation Policy (U11 Pathways)
Affiliation for U11 players falls under the usual affiliation rules for minor hockey. Individual players affiliated to higher division/age categories may therefore exceed the 45-game limit as a result of playing with their rostered and their affiliate teams.