KMHA Initiation Program

KMHA Initiation Program
KMHA Initiation Program 2018-06-14T11:56:48+00:00

Welcome to IP Hockey!

My name is Mark De Verno and this is my second year as the IP Convenor.  I’d like to personally welcome your child to this years hockey program.  The Initiation Program (IP) is the start of it all, and is very exciting!

I hope you find the information below helpful.  Please feel free to email me at anytime.

See Respect In Sport and Equipment sections for actions required before your child can participate on the ice.

Sort Outs

The first two weekends of the season are dedicated to evaluating players and placing them on teams of appropriate ability.  There will be 8 teams with the following breakdown:

  • K1-K2: Beginners (many have not skated before)
  • K3-K4: Low Intermediate
  • K5-K6: High Intermediate
  • K7-K8: Advanced

Assigning a player to a team of appropriate skill is the most important thing we can do.  It will create and foster a environment where their skills can progress, while having fun.  What it will absolutely not do is pre-determine where they will be in a few years time.

Sort Out Schedule

The sort-out schedule is TBD.

Volunteers

We have a definite need for volunteers for sort outs at the following positions:

  • On-Ice Evaluators (must commit to all ice-times)
  • On-Ice Sheppards (the more, the merrier!)
  • Registration Table

This is a great opportunity for high school students registered KMHA looking for volunteer hours!

Please fill out this form if you’d like to help out!


Equipment

All players must have:

  • Hockey Skates (not plastic skates, figure skates, etc)
  • Hockey Helmet + Cage (must have CSA approved logo)
  • Hockey Stick (taped & cut to roughly chin while on skates)
  • Practice Jersey
  • Neck Guard
  • Shoulder Pads
  • Elbow Pads
  • Jock (boys) or Jill (girls)
  • Hockey Pants
  • Hockey Gloves
  • Shin Pads
  • Hockey Socks (to go over shin pads)

We’ve seen many mistakes over the years that have result in children disappointed that they can’t play hockey on the first day.  Please make sure you have actual hockey skates, a helmet with a cage, and a practice jersey.  If you have any question, please do not hesitate to ask.

A CSA approved helmet sticker
Only hockey skates are approved.  Figure skates, or skates with plastic components/straps are NOT allowed.

Respect in Sport

Adults also have a mandatory requirement.  At least one parent or guardian MUST complete the Respect in Sport certification BEFORE the first ice-time.  This 1 hour online course cost $12.00.


Team Volunteers

KMHA is a volunteer based organization, and without the help of people like yourself, we wouldn’t be able to provide quality hockey for the children.  As the IP convenor I am especially looking for head coaches.  Regardless, here is the information on all team positions.  All requirements are reimbursable.

Head Coach:

Creates practice plans and leads the practice.  There will be two coaches on the ice, so most coaches prefer to create and lead one week, while the other does the later.  Must be committed to attending the majority of practices.  Head coaches also choose all team staff (manager, ice-helpers, trainer).  Time commitment is about 3-4 hours a week (practices + prep).  Requirements:

Assistance Coach:

Leads and instructs players at each station.  Commitment is simply helping out on the ice instead of sitting in the stands.  Requirements (same as head coach):

Trainer:

Performs first aid and safety related tasks.  For IP, a box of tissues for running noses is your most common tool.  Requirements:

Manager

Manages team budget, organizes fun days and off the ice activities.  Often organizes the purchase of team memorabilia (custom ballcaps, etc)!  Requirements:


Season Schedule

The season schedule won’t be available until after teams are completed.  Even then, it will not cover the entire season.  In general, practices will be held on Saturday and Sunday’s somewhere between 6am-9am at rinks located in Kanata.  The rinks most used are:


Practice Information

We follow the Hockey Canada program for Initiation, which places almost all emphasis on fun and basic skills.  Technical skills make up 85% of the time allotment, while the other 15% are on individual tactics.  There are noscheduled games, but coaches often have cross-ice scrimmages at end of practice.  A list of all core skills taught can be found in the Initiation Skills PDF.

Two teams from the same category will share the ice, and hence, have access to two coaches.  Most practice will follow a plan that includes a warm up, 6-station practice, and a scrimmage/fun-game.


Friend Requests

I am happy to try to accommodate friend requests.  To do so, both friends must make the request.  To make a request please fill out this online form.